shaft of the new transaxle into the clutch and flywheel. Refitting the trans-axle seemed just as hard as coaxing a gearbox into position on an MG; they had the advantage that the whole area was free of body parts and they could stand up straight whenever they wanted.
There were no CMGC club members racing and we did not see many persons we had hoped would be there. The venue is becoming more exclusive with higher racing fees. There were a few MGs in Group 2 and the only MG in Group 8 (Porsches, etc.) was Kent Pratherís highly modi-fied MGA, 26 white. And what we have long found to be a constant at the track, Augie Pabst and his blue Scarab named MeisterBrauser, did not seem to be in attendance. Maybe next year.
We had supper together back at the campground and then went to Elkhart Lake for the concours díelegance. This is an inter-esting event because there are cars prepared with many different viewpoints, from painstaking restorations (an Invicta from many years before) though the commonplace (Ferrari, BMW, Jaguar) to wild custom interpretations (a 50ís era Buick Roadmaster, modi-fied into a 2-door hard-top, slightly chopped, with an Eldorado spare and Chevy 350 engine). Something for everybody.
~~ Ann & Jake Snyder
MGB Windscreen Replacement
June 23, 2012 - Plano, Illinois
We had four club members - Don Haag, Victor L'Heureux, Barney Gaylord, and Thomas E Lancaster Sr. - and a couple extra hands from Donís son to replace a damaged windscreen on Donís MGB. Removing the windscreen wasn't too bad a job. Fifteen minutes for the first three bolts, and 45 minutes for the fourth one tucked in behind the dash high on the right. It also helps to remove the glove box liner box to have access through that dash opening for working the two bolts on the right side. Two more bolts from bottom of the center stay, and it's lift off time.
Disassembly of the frame was a snap. The center stay rod has an extended nut at bottom that looks like a big spoke nipple from a wire wheel. The top rail had ten screws exposed on the top surface only. That left a narrow tapping plate loose inside that we would learn to deal with later for reassembly. And there was that pesky plastic retainer for the sun visor that was part of the reason
for the broken glass in the first place.
We drew a diagram of the assembly on a sheet of paper and taped all of the screws down in respective order to remember what length screws go in which holes. That's when we discovered a couple of them were the wrong length. It was easy to pull the bottom rail off and leave the old packing rubber on the old glass. The bottom seal comes out of the "T" slot with a little tug, which of course is a whole lot easier then sliding a new one back in. Chuck the old broken glass outdoors to get it out of the way.